So it's been a long day and I haven't slept well for many reasons and I have so many things running through my head and my heart so bear with me please. Yet again it might be scattered.
Today has been a great day because I realized without a doubt that this trip was the will of God for my life. It's not that I really doubted it but it took awhile for the dust to settle. This experience is bringing home to my heart and mind the things that are important in life and my goals in life have started to change.
My host family is by no means well off but their house and each member of the family is so full of love that it constantly overwhelms me, not just for each other but for everyone. They have in less than a week made me feel like an honorary daughter and sister, it moves me beyond words. In this culture family is very important and in my host family it's God then family. I think sometimes in the United States this gets so muddled and so many things come before both of those that by the time we are done chasing after things we aren't sure which way is up.
Also it's a common misconception that some people have that Latin Americans aren't as hard workers but that's very far from the truth. Randall (my host dad or "pa" as the kids whine often) works 5 days a week 12 hrs a day and on Saturday he goes to work from 6 to 1 then English class from 2 to 5 with Jonathon. The only complaint Randall has about these long hours is that he hates leaving his precious children and loving wife (this is one family where the machismo culture didn't win out). Its pretty humbling.
I want to preface this by saying that I'm just as guilty as the rest but I was convicted this morning at church. I'm not going to claim that I knew everything that was said but despite the language barrier I was still able to feel the presence of the Holy Spirit more than I ever have in my life. I couldn't help but think as I'm watching these people praise the one true everlasting God, that I've/we've had it all wrong. Their time of worship was around an hour and it was more like a celebration, people were dancing and there were flags to wave around and "interpretive" dancers (my host mom being one; and if you know me I normally can't handle this because its quite a distraction) and people were on their knees crying at "the altar".
But before you judge and tune out completely, it wasn't gaudy or a big show to make themselves feel good. It was obvious that they could not have cared less what someone thought, whether good or bad. Even with the language barrier it was obvious that these people were sincerely worshiping their Creator. Most of these people have less than lower middle class Americans but they weren't requesting everything, they were giving thanks for what they do have. It is hard to explain but it was obvious that the Holy Spirit was present. Why wouldn't we want to go crazy worshiping the Creator of the Universe and the Lover of our soul, despite his knowing all our transgressions?
I'll admit, I've been going through the motions. Complacency comes easy when life is also easy. But the first step to change is acceptance, right? This complacency is just as bad as doing nothing at all. The Word of God clearly states in Revelation that "because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold- I am about to spit you out of my mouth". But today like everyday was a gift from God and one of revelation. Often times we are stuck in rows too worried about what others think, just mumbling the songs and skimming the Word but doing nothing more. Like taking the Love of God to the streets and loving people like we are commanded. Their church was a great example of what the church should be. They welcomed Karen and I, offered their help while we were in their country, and prayed over us. It affirmed that God is much bigger than a language barrier.
After church we went to Randall's mom's house for a birthday party. He has 4 siblings. But there were a ton of relatives and friends that equaled about 30 or so. They welcomed me into their house like I was one of the family. The 4 plus hrs there just reaffirmed the beauty and importance of family. It's beyond words. If you know me, you know how much this affected me when I say a big family seems kind of fun and always interesting (but don't worry, much farther in the future). There's a certain magic about the chaos.
Oh and some random comments: its election time here, I thought it was bad in the states but its worse here just take my word for it. Also I rode in a taxi today and New York taxi drivers have nothing on this. But luckily I have faith that God didn't bring me all the way here to die in a taxi cab within the first week!
Well it looks like another night of my new roommate snoring (I hope she doesn't ask for my blog address :/ ) and homeless people and dogs rummaging through the trash 30 ft from my window. Thank goodness for ear plugs, although I can still hear snoring. Oh how I miss Emily and her quieter heavy breathing.
And thanks for the previous comments although I can't really check them regularly. And as always thanks for the prayers.
Love you guys, miss you a ton but I'll be home before you know it.
Vaya con Dios
"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine according to his power that is at work within us." Ephesians 3:20
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are awesome! Thanks for giving us a glimpse into what God is teaching you in Costa Rica. Praying for you this week! Love you lots.
ReplyDeleteBabe, You are going to grow so much in these 9 weeks, spirtually and otherwise. We pray for you always and love you so much. Mom and Dad
ReplyDeleteWow! It touches my heart to read what you've experienced so far in Costa Rica. Thanks for posting and we look forward to hearing more. We're thinking of you and praying for you. Love you, girl!
ReplyDeletereading this post was like deja-vu for me! the hearts and worship of the Kenyan people I lived among were just exactly like this...so humbling and moving for me...this is so exciting for you!
ReplyDelete